Heart Is Just Heat With An R

By: Daniel Weatherfield Lichtenberg

I'm late for some bull shit something so I rush out of the house.
I'm a block off my place when I trip on a crack or a tree root or mountain of little not paying attentions.
And I look down. And I see that my sneakers are covered in puke.
I stand there for a bit and think about walking on.
Then I look down again and see one of my pant legs is covered in puke.
Then I turn around and think that Heart is just Heat with an R.
And maybe I was supposed to be late to this something.
And you know how long goodbyes are so awkward?
Like if you say goodbye to someone,
and then go onto opposite tracks of the subway,
and just awkwardly make small waves and smirks
at the other person
from across the tracks.
And then when the other person's train comes
I think how
it's good to be in love.
Even if I'm just fooling myself.
Even if I just like to use
love as a scapegoat.